Friday, August 13, 2010

What have I gotten myself into?!

Hi peeps! 

Today was a day filled with trying new things. So you know that I've recently taken up canning. Mrs. Bobbie had also shared that she makes salsa and ketchup! And if you read my first post, you know how much I love ketchup! I figured, what the hell. I'll try it to make all this myself. Not even thirty minutes in, I am up to my elbows in tomato guts! I looked like I had been in a tomato fight, and I lost! ha ha I felt pretty good about the salsa recipe and my ability to make some kick-ass salsa.

As for the ketchup, the recipe just seemed weird. But as my Mom says, you follow the recipe right the first time, then modify if needed. The recipe calls for spices that you would not think went in ketchup. Like allspice, cinnamon, cloves, etc! So, you're suppose to let it simmer for an hour then add vinegar and salt. Then cook for another 30 minutes. Well, the time comes and it still looks like tomato juice. I then proceed to Mrs. Bobbie's house to get some advice. She comes over and raves about my salsa, but says the ketchup is no good. Apparently making homemade ketchup isn't like the store bought kind. In that, it isn't as thick. Then what's the point? I'm so confused. The recipes I found for ketchup do not call for a thickening agent. I don't know how they get it that way. I tried adding tomato paste and it didn't help too much. I gave up after 2.5 hours. I will not throw it away though. I'll add it to other recipes. Needless to say, I'm disappointed. :o( 

However, my salsa is kick ass! You have no idea how much different it tastes compared to store bought. Even the salsa we made before with canned tomatoes, has nothing on this! Mrs. Bobbie's recipe made about 2 and 3/4 quarts of salsa. I used quart jars instead of pints because we love salsa! I will definitely make more if I can have more tomatoes from her garden! 

From start to finish, it took about 4 hours to make all this! I knew it was an all day thing, but wow! This does not abstain me from canning and having my own garden one day. It just makes me want it that much more. Yes, it is a lot of hard work. But, it is worth it! I am happier with my food when I make it myself. I think I was born in the wrong century?!

I also made another new smoothie recipe. It was okay. I probably will not make it that way again. I recently learned about hemp milk, so this was my first time using it. It is very interesting. I got the unsweetened vanilla...definitely a different flavor. Not sure how I feel about it. You guys may like it so here it is. 

Banana-Peach Smoothie

1 peach
1 1/2 -2 frozen banana
1 cup hemp milk
pinch cinnamon
pinch dark cocoa

No comments: