Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Welcome to Daily Vegan!

Well hello there!

I decided to start this blog after numerous friends asked for recipes, etc. I had never considered doing a blog until someone suggested it. Special thanks to Beadworks by Marcy! My goal is that the blog will be helpful and interesting!  


Let's first define what a vegan is, I find that the majority do not know! You think you do, but you don't! A vegan is someone who does not consume or wear anything animal. This includes anything that comes from an animal. For example, gelatin, often found in jell-o comes from animal bones. Yes, that's what I said. I'm sorry if you'll think twice before eating gelatin again, but then again, you should! 


So, I decided to start off telling you why I decided to become a vegan. Sit back and get situated because I tend to tell long stories. I always have to start at the very beginning.

It all started around the age of 10. That is when I learned what/where meat came from (gasps)! Now, I had always read labels, even if I didn't know what the words meant. However, I have to read everything I see. It's just something I do! I'm especially skilled at reading the fine print on commercials. There is a lot hiding in there people! Back to meat. I decided to become a vegetarian. It lasted a short while because I apparently was anemic. Who knows if this was due to lack of eating meat or not eating properly. I go with the latter. This really concerned my Mom and the doctor. I was told my only option was to go back to eating meat. Eww. (They were wrong by the way) So, I did, because I didn't know anything. I am also an extremely picky eater. You'd think it would get better as I got older, um no! This often annoyed my Mom and Grandma, mostly Grandma though. I just wanted to make them happy so I continued to eat meat for a very, very long time to appease. 


When I left for college at 17, I did not eat meat unless I had to. I lost 15 pounds. Instead of gaining the freshman fifteen, I lost! It was needed though, I was slightly above my weight for my height. I was about 20/21 years-old when I told my Mom I couldn't eat meat anymore. I told her I just couldn't force myself to continue on this way. I was miserable after I ate. I pretty much felt nauseated after every meal. I used A LOT of condiments at meals to cover up the taste of meat. Ketchup was my best friend! My Mom, being the awesome person she is, understood. She voiced concerns about getting enough protein, iron, and what not. I told her I would research and learn! So, that's what I did. I was officially, a lacto-ovo-vegetarian! YEY! I was very much relieved. I ate no meat or eggs and some dairy. Now if eggs happen to be in the recipe I ate it, but not the eggs themselves. They smell horrible to me. 


I was a vegetarian for about a year and a half. During this time, I worked in a gifted-research lab at WKU. The professor over the lab was Dr. Anne Rinn, who is awesome by the way! She had recently converted to a vegetarian as well. She informed me that she was slowly going to convert to being a vegan. I had no clue what a vegan was. I believe it was she who told me about the book Vegan Freak. In August of 2007, I had just moved to Chattanooga for graduate school. I decided to purchase this book and see what it was all about. Well folks, after reading that book there was no going back! I was enlightened on the subject of what was really in our foods and what it does to your body, the animals, and our planet! I was shocked. I had been oblivious to the whole matter! From then on, I read as much as I could. I have never been happier with myself and especially with my food. Now, I only feel nauseated after I eat, if I eat something I did not like. Which is rare. I believe I was destined to be a vegan. I never liked meat, milk, or eggs. I am missing nothing! This month marks my third year of being a vegan!


So, there you have it! I tell people that I am a vegan for three reasons. 
1. Animal Cruelty
2. It's healthy
3. I've never liked meat.





6 comments:

Valerie Towe said...

Love it! Love you too!!!

Jessica said...

Aww Thanks Val! And thanks for being the first to comment on the blog! Love you too! :o)

Uncle Matt and Aunt Jeanie said...

Wow, I am impressed Jess but I would expect nothing less...you go girl...I knew you could do it!!!! Love you, Jean

Jessica said...

Thanks! :o)

Anne said...

YEAH! So glad you are a vegan! :)

Jessica said...

Thanks Anne! Me too!