Wednesday, August 11, 2010

RAWesomeness!

Hi Peeps! Sorry I haven't been blogging, but I had decided to do a partially raw detox (woo!). 

Probably should have thought more about the blog title since I'm not interesting enough to write daily. I mean, I could, but it would be a lot more randomness than it is now haha! Plus I forget to take pictures of my food for you guys to see when I post recipes.  I hope to become more like my fellow bloggers and remember to take a picture of my food prior to eating it!

Anywho, so last week I decided to do a raw diet. I didn't know anything about raw diets, so I naturally asked google what they knew! 

But before I get into that, I should back up and share some past history. About six months into being a vegan I decided to eat only raw fruits and vegetables to detox. It was not that great of an experience. The only thing I remember was being hungry all the time and feeling like crap! I didn't research it that well, so I had no idea that is how you're supposed to feel. I asked my friend/nutrition professor what she knew about detoxing. She was against it. I can't remember why. I just remember her asking me how I felt and I said like crap and she said see! Start eating, it's not necessary. So, I did.  No need to tell me twice! Now that I think back, I should have stuck with it for a a few more days to make sure I got all the crap out. You know, years of eating junk, pesticides, and whatever else they decide to throw in our foods! Bastards! 

So, this time I have my friend google barely helping me along on this one. There are tons of websites but, none of what I was really looking for. They all basically just informed me what a raw diet was, how to go about "going raw", etc. The recipes and food they shared, I was not familiar with. I was looking for a short-term raw detox. These people are raw for life! They eat only raw foods with nothing cooked above 110 degrees. They're extremely creative! The only kitchen appliances they need are: blender, food processor, dehydrator, and juicer! Craziness I tell you. Now don't get me wrong, I think what these people do is amazing, but a life of only raw is not for me! Just like being a vegan isn't for everyone. However, I would like to incorporate more raw foods into my diet because it is healthier. I know that when you cook fruits and veggies too long, they loose their nutrients. 

So, after not finding exactly what I was looking for, I just created my own. This detox has been way different than the first. I don't feel hungry for the majority of the time, which scares me because I'm hungry every 3 hours. AND I don't feel like crap. So, maybe I don't need to detox? Who knows, I'm confused and going to consult my online vegan nutritionist. 

Here's the game plan:
I eat Larabars for breakfast, a smoothie for lunch, and a salad with tofu, tempeh, or chickpeas for dinner. The protein I'm eating isn't raw of course, ew! But, like I said, I'm doing it my way! Larabars are pretty interesting little bars! They are made out of dates, spices, fruit, and nuts only! Sounds gross but they're actually pretty good! They have been keeping me full for at least 3-4 hours.  I've also been experimenting with smoothies. After reading a lot of raw websites, I learned these people are putting vegetables and things I have never thought of into a smoothie! For example, avocado and spinach! You don't taste it at all! I'm also adding a scoop of Amazing Meal into my smoothie for extra nutrients. 

I thought I'd share my latest smoothie concoction with you. 
*I don't measure so here's my best guess

Half package of silken tofu
1 cup of water (I usually use milk but I'm currently raw)
1 or 2 frozen bananas 
Hand full of strawberries
I scoop of Pomegranate-Mango Amazing Meal
About 2 hand fulls of washed baby spinach

And WALLAH




You thought it would be green! No, the amazing meal makes it chalk-y color. 

Here are a few of the raw websites I found! Very interesting stuff. Check out their recipes. 

http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=154.0
http://www.alissacohen.com/store/
http://goneraw.com/recipeshttp://www.rawvegansource.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=action&emptyoverride=yes&template=PDGCommTemplates/RVS/Cat_Superfoods.html

If you guys know anything about being raw, detoxes, or anything else. Please Share! I have no idea if I'm doing this correctly.

No comments: