Wednesday, October 20, 2010

It's that time of year!


I finally had a day off where I didn't have many errands to do. I was able to get into the kitchen and make a few things that I have not shared with you yet! 

For Brunch (Brunch only because I forgot to eat breakfast, duh) I had a pancake. I found the best recipe for pancakes! They are much fluffier than the original. Initially, when I wrote down this recipe I copied it wrong. They still turned out but it was funny when one morning Mom and I had made up the batter and we were waiting for my Dad to get home before making them... while sitting at the kitchen table we hear something and we look over and see that the batter has risen so far out of the bowl it was over flowing! See,  instead of 1 tbsp of baking powder I had written down 2 tbsps! I'm a dork! I had been making it this way for a good year before Mom said I think this is wrong and we should try it with only 1 tbsp. 

Vegan Pancakes

1 cup of flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder (not 2!)
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup almond milk
2 tbsp oil

Mix dry, add wet. Mix and cook. -- I halved this recipe to just make one pancake for myself. I cannot eat more than one. I was also out of maple syrup so I used blue agave nectar.  





For dinner I made Savory Cabbage Soup. I got this recipe from a magazine and then modified it. I love soup and I'm always looking for new ones to try. The original recipe just called for cabbage, carrots, vegetable broth, onions, and rice. I added beans, vegetable bouillon, and other spices.  I have also left out the water and added more vegetable broth, to add more flavor. It's up to you. 

Savory Cabbage Soup

3 tbsp olive oil
1 small cabbage, cleaned and cut small
3 cups vegetable broth
3 cups water
1/2 cup jasmine rice
good hand full of chopped carrots
good hand full of diced onions
1 vegetable boullion cube
1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
spices

Saute carrots, onions, and cabbage in oil. Add broth, water, beans, bouillon, and spices. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes. Add rice, cover and simmer for another 15 minutes.  

As I was eating my soup and grilled cheese I remembered that I had forgotten to take a picture so here it is in the pot!
Enjoy! :o)

No comments: